Upgrade from RH8 to FC1 hangs with GRUB

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Wed Jan 21 11:47:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 22:42, John Rumball wrote:
> Recently I attempted an upgrade from RH8 to FC1 using Yum and
> everything seemed to be going along well when I noticed yum complaining
> that it needed X amount of disk space for various packages it was
> trying to install.  When the upgrade stopped, it was displaying a line
> which said something like, "Testing transaction:".
>
> Upon checking the amount of free disk space I discovered that I had
> only 300MB remaining and figured that this wouldn't be enough to allow
> me to successfully complete the upgrade.  So I shutdown my system and
> used Norton Ghost to transfer my entire Linux installation (3
> partitions) to a new 30GB drive.
>
> After booting the machine with the new hard drive, the system hangs
> with the word GRUB in the top left corner of the screen.
>
> Any idea why this might have happened and what I can try to get past
> this?  Any comments or suggestions you may have will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks very much.
>

> John Rumball
> --

Boot your first Fedora CD and use it to boot to your hard drive
(Recovery mode if I remember). Once there, cd to your /boot/grub
directory. Then issue a 'grub-install /dev/hd? (hd? the drive you wish
to boot from). Then reboot your system and it should work again.

I found that Ghost sometimes, messes up the boot sector, so doing this
usually fixes that problem.

Wolf