samba file server runing extremly slow

Steven Stern sds-email-list at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 21 15:16:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:13:43 +0000, Jonathan Christison
<jonbon_c at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello and thank for yore help because i need it
>can any one tell me why my samba server transfers at speed of 5mb/s and
>slower ? this is a ridiculously slow speed as my network run's at
>100mps.
>i was thinking maby its the way im sharing them with user share instead
>of file share.
>i have checked the card is a 100mps card and all the other servises run
>just as slow i even took of aloada services and it made no difference.
>its a 500mhz machine with 32mb or ram wif no gui why is it funing this
>slow should i change to a older OS like redhat 7.1 or is FC1 ok???
>
>yore help would be greatly appreciated
>
>- Jonathan Christison

I backup my Windows machine to my Samba server every week, transferring about
1.5GB. I got much better speed by looking closely at the values in this line
of smb.conf:

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

If you check the FAQs on samba.org and google around a bit, you'll find some
guidance on the two buffer sizes.  I found that 8192 worked well with my
combination of network (100 Mbps) and hardware.
--
   Steve