clustering software for fedora

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at seagha.com
Wed Jan 21 18:23:24 UTC 2004

In article <400E7042.6090804 at users.sourceforge.net>, WipeOut wrote:
> Asad Javid wrote:
>
>>Im looking to implement a cluster on fedora. Is there a software for fedora for free. How is the performance.
>>

> Take a look at openosix.. I used it once to setup a cluster of 4 PC's to
> create a bunch of MP3's faster.. It worked like a dream..
>
> Just a note.. Make sure you app is multi-process (not just
> multi-threaded) and that is does not make use of shared memory,
> otherwise your cluster will not migrate processes to the other nodes in
> the cluster..
>
> This is of course a processing cluster, if you are after a high
> availibility cluster or a load balancing clister you may want to look at
> software like "heartbeat", "LVM (Linux Virtual Machine)" and "openssi"
> (I think thats what it was)..

OpenSSI [1] is indeed the correct name, however it's currently only available
for RH9.. (FC1 is probably also possible with modest work, but FC2 will
be a whole different story as that is going to use the new 2.6 kernel)

just for the record.. OpenSSI V1.0 will be released any day now.

[1] - http://www.openssi.org