Which driver for HP 3650 and why can't I print to it via Samba?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Wed Jan 21 18:53:56 UTC 2004

I bought a new HP DeskJet 3650 printer last night to replace my aging
Epson 640.  I've got two problems using it with Fedora.

In browsing the Web, I "discovered" hpijs, the official HP Linux drivers
for their printers, hosted at hpinkjet.sourceforge.net.  Fedora ships
with hpijs 1.4 but this version appeared not to support the 3650;  that
is, the printer does not appear on the list of printers in the
redhat-config-printers dialog box.  So, I downloaded the hpijs-1.5
archive, built it from source and installed it, after erasing the hpijs
1.4 RPM of course.

Problem 1:  If I use redhat-config-printer to set up the printer, I
don't see the entry for the 3650 even with hpijs 1.5.  But if I use the
HTTP interface to cups (http://localhost:631/), then the 3650 does show
up as one of the possible printers to use.  The HTTP interface, though,
says in bold face to use redhat-config-printer to set up the printer.  I
also discovered that in the Fedora-default configuration, the HTTP cups
interface gives only three printer choices for HP:   "DeskJet Series",
"LaserJet Series", and "New DeskJet Series".

So, should I use hpijs-1.4 or -1.5?  If the former, which DeskJet should
I select?

The other problem is that the printer is actually on an XP machine on my
home network.  My old Epson worked fine from the Fedora system using
Samba, and I'm using the same access settings for the new printer.  If I
print to the 3650 from Fedora, the job shows up in the XP print queue
but is never printed.  I'm not the only one with this problem;  see
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/131255, but I wonder if
anyone here has a solution?

Stephen Walton
stephen.walton located at csun.edu