Make rpm

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Wed Jan 21 19:55:40 UTC 2004

On Wednesday January 21, 2004 "Mike Westkamper" <mjwestkamper at weiinc.com>
wrote:

>  My quote:	This is actually fun.
> Nostalgia:	Reminds me of my times doing sysgen's on an IBM 7090.
>
> Thanks to the support here and RedHat's Fedora distribution I have a
> master Fedora based system that serves as the code source for all the
> other Fedora boxes, 22 at last count.
>
> Next, each of the 22 other boxes needs a custom kernel, special SCSI
> support. Rather than doing a build on each box I plan to make my own
> kernel distribution of the latest kernel with the necessary
> re-configuration.
>
> I have read through several sources about "make rpm". Each has caveats
> and none seem directed to Fedora. Can anyone recommend a tested
> procedure to make an kernel rpm distribution compatible with the Fedora
> distribution?

Mike,

Make *sure* you change the default CC alias to use the older gcc 3.2
before starting. Fedora's gcc 3.3 compiler is actually better, but there
is a lot of "pristine" kernel source code not yet upgraded to work with
gcc 3.3. I ignorantly beat my head against this wall for months, trying
unsuccessfully to "make rpm" with gcc 3.3. It would bomb out about 2/3
through make-modules. Then I saw the the light:

     # export CC=gcc32

Voila! Hope this helps...

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL