resizing / partition

Yohann Desquerre yohann.desquerre at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 21 23:03:22 UTC 2004

If you want to have "hot resible" partitions i advise you to use
LVM+reiserfs

in parted of fdisk you would have 2 parts one with 100M (for the / boot)
in ext2 or ext3 and then the rest of your disk in LVM (type is 8e)

on the LVM part you will create with diskdruid a volume group (maybe
vg00) in which you will create the following logical volume :

RootLv(mounted on /)
VarLV(Monted on /var)
TmpLv(Mounted on /tmp)
UsrLV(Mounted on /usr)
HomeLv(Mounted on /home)
SwapLv(the swap)

Then when you 'll be able to boot your system you'll easily extends for
example /home with this command (your vg called "vg00") :

lvextend -L +100M -n HomeLv #This extend the LV
resize_reiserfs /dev/vg00/HomeLv# This will extend the fs

Your /home has been grown of 100M without umout it.....THAT HAPYNESS !!!

enjoy FC1