Replacement for XMMS?

Lee-Win Tai holycrap at cavtel.net
Thu Jan 22 03:52:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:17:59PM -0500, Brian Hartman wrote:

> Admittedly, I didn't look at the package list, but when I tried to run
> the command, I received the message:
>
> "Due to patent licensing, and conflicts between such patent licenses and
> the licenses of application source code, MPEG-1/2 audio layer 3 (MP3)
> support has been removed from this application by Red Hat, Inc.  We
> apologize for this inconvenience."

How to play MP3s under FC1 seems to occur frequently.

Here's how you do it:

1.  If you are using yum, add these lines to /etc/yum.conf.  You
typically must be root to do this.

--- cut below ---

[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl= http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable
gpgcheck=1

[livna-unstable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/unstable
gpgcheck=1

[livna-testing]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/testing
gpgcheck=1

--- cut above ---

2.  If you are using up2date, add these lines to
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources.  You typically must be root to do this.

--- cut below ---

yum livna-stable-fc1 http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/yum/stable
yum livna-testing-fc1 http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/yum/testing
yum livna-unstable-fc1 http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/yum/unstable

--- cut above ---

3.  If you did #1, become root (su -), and type yum install xmms-mp3.

4.  If you did #2, become root (su -), and type up2date -u xmms-mp3.

5.  Enjoy your MP3s.

You can read more about the livna.org repository at
http://rpm.livna.org/