First Boot Installation problem - (A User problem)

Greg Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Thu Jan 22 04:57:14 UTC 2004

Everyone,

I wanted to report a circumstance that cost me about 48 hours in trying to
get a Fedora system installed.  I am using an older monitor 'Touch' made in
Korea that was not recognized by Linux.  I tried to find one that was a
close match, but obviously did not get an appropriate match for two days.
Every time I 'first booted' the screen would stop after the swap area was
being activated.  I finally figured out the problem by a little luck and
stumbling around.  When the Fedora 'first boot script' was activated on the
gui screen I was seeing nothing on the screen because of an improper monitor
setting, and this caused the whole system to stall.   After about 5
reinstalls I picked the 'Generic Monitor' with an appropriate resolution and
the system booted properly.

There may be some warnings about this, but I missed them even if they are in
bold print.  I would not be surprised if others have had or will have the
same problem so I decided to post my error.  Hope this saves a couple of
days for someone!!!!

Greg Ennis