Latest NVIDIA Driver -- is CC="gcc32" necessary now?

Matt H. helios82 at optushome.com.au
Thu Jan 22 05:38:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:17:11 -0500, Clint wrote:

> The instructions at http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/custom_nvidia.html have
> worked well for me over the last round of kernel upgrades. I notice now
> there is a newer driver (v. 1.0-5328) than the one with the instructions
> (v. 1.0-4496).
>
> My question is if the CC="gcc32" is necessary with this newer driver?
>
> Thanks,
> Clint
Well, I can tell you that I managed to install the 5328 drivers fine
without setting that variable if that's anything to go by. The
installer will compile a custom module based on your GCC version
from /proc/version not `gcc -v`, (which is 3.2.3 - the version used to
compile the kernel), so I see no reason for needing this. However, it
*may* still be an issue, and as such if you experience any problems, it's
probably best to set it. Or you could try `export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1`.
See http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20628 if
you have issues - it may be helpful.

HTH
--