A SCSI problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 22 06:24:11 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 22.01.2004 schrieb Mike Westkamper um 00:22:
> An update, some progress,
>
> On a lark I did a modprobe for aic7770
> It listed the controller and attached drives.

You probably mean the aic7xxx.o kernel module. A module with name
aic7770.o is not known on my FC1. I even never heard of a SCSI module by
that name.

> Hmmmm

If you type in as root "modinfo aic7xxx" you will get some information
about optional module parameters you can pass when loading the module.
Maybe even the example line for EISA/VLB system is interesting for you

> How do I make this work routinely? And how can I tell if it loaded the new
> sequencer code?

Load the module and create a new ram disk using command mkinitrd.
"mkinitrd --help" will show you how to use the command. Move the newly
created initrd.img file to /boot and be sure it is called in
/etc/grub.conf. Edit the /etc/modules.conf with a line

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

maybe followed by a line like

options aic7xxx 'aic7xxx=probe_eisa_vl.tag_info:{{}.{.10}}.seltime:1'

whatever parameters you are passing to the module.

> To me this is mindless hacking extraordinaire. I have no idea why it worked
> nor where to go from here.
>
> Mike

HTH

Alexander