ANOTHER Fedora upgrade tale of woe...

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:24:57 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 12:58 am, John T Nelson wrote:
> Don't think this is the problem. THere is only one kernel on this
> machine... the FC1 kernel. Problem is that the FC1 upgrade didn't install
> all the module support needed. I can boot into FC1 but get lots of errors
> complaining about missing modules.

No, this is not what happened.  The kernel version you quoted (2.4.20) is NOT
the FC1 kernel, it IS the RHL8 kernel.  The right kernel and all modules (a
2.4.22 kernel) are all installed, but the bootloader is not booting the FC1
kernel.  You have to tell the bootloader to do so.  If you previously had
LILO as your bootloader, this can happen; I had it happen to me.  I fixed it
by rerunning /sbin/lilo after tracking down a good LILO package for FC1 and
getting all the files straightened out.  It was a mess.

> Any chance I can correct this by hand since the installer disk does not
> correct this condition (the installer created the problem in the fist
> place)?

I've already described how to do it:

--
Lamar Owen