samba file server slow

Dennis Gilmore dennis at dgilmore.net
Thu Jan 22 21:16:33 UTC 2004

Once upon a time Friday 23 January 2004 6:38 am, Jonathan Christison wrote:
> thanks for every one's help last time about this but its still slow... i
> followed every ones advise and no change its still runs at 5mega bytes
> per second over a 100 mega bits per second hub
> then i realised when i was swaping files about on my fedora pc up stairs
> on gkrellm the server is using rx not tx but yet there is a small amount
> of tx packets flyin round my network.
> do i need to configure my network card to use TX-100base some how ?
> thanks for yore help again
>
> - Jonny

Are you using a Hub or Switch?  if your using a hub as stated above you will
not get the full performance as only one machine can send traffic on the wire
at a time so it has to stop and wait for ACK's  is your network running full
duplex or half duplex?

mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok

you should get something like the above if you run mii-tool as root that is
100Mbit per sec Full duplex

Dennis