kernel and kernel-smp

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Thu Jan 22 23:25:20 UTC 2004

Chris Adams wrote:

>Once upon a time, Randal, Phil <prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk> said:
>

>>And if you have problems with SMP enabled but not on UP the check out:
>>

>What if you have problems with UP but not SMP? :-)
>
>It sure is a pain installing on those machines (starting with RHL 9),
>since the installer kernel is UP.

Probably not. I never installed redhat on any multiprocessor machines
(as I have no access to any machine like that). However , I installed it
on a Xeon system that has HT and it works perfectly... Probably the use
of a UP kernel during setup only has performance impacts during setup ,
as all the other processors are idle , but they work perfectly when the
system is rebooted , as anaconda detects the presence of aditional
processors and installs both the UP and SMP kernels...

Pedro