RWyse60 Terminal Interface

Brian Fahrlander Brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Jan 23 02:14:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 19:37, fred smith wrote:

> > What I would like to do is to use Linux as a desktop unit to replace some of
> > the Wyse60 terminals.  I would like to be able use either the gnome or kde
> > gui interface with a gnome-terminal window or a kde-konsole window opened
> > and telneted into the SCO server.  This would obviously allow several
> > terminal windows opened at the same time which would be a benefit in using
> > the software on the SCO box.  I don't really need to ssh into the SCO box
> > because it is already protected from the internet behind some Linux muscle,
> > but I do need to be able to have the ability to control the screen features
> > of the window that is open.  Tiny Term does have a product with a Wyse60
> > interface for Linux systems but it does not allow 'on the fly' programming
> > of the special function keys, and has some other hard coded problems that
> > can not be fixed by changing parameter files.
>
> I'm not really familiar with commercial terminal-emulation "solutions"
> (gads, how I  hate that word!) for Linux, so I won't be able to help
> there. If the tinyterm product is not suitable, you seem to be left with
> two choices (or maybe three): 1) suffer with tinyterm or keep looking
> for another product, 2) create the necessary terminal descriptions in
> the product's proprietary terminal description format, or 3) pick up an
> existing open-source terminal program and modify it to provide the
> capabilities you need (minicom, for example).
>
> Of the three, i'd venture to guess that #2 may be the least painful in
> the long run. #1 will cost bucks and have continuing frustrations since
> it isn't going to really give you what you want, #3 is a lot of work
> you're bringing upon yourself.
>
> so, for #2, you probably only need to add support for "xterm" and maybe
> "linux". xterm is suitable for both kde and gnome terminals I believe,
> and linux is for the textmode console.

    You'll find, though, the "xterm" that SCO uses has the F-keys one
and two swapped.  If you didn't need the F-keys, you probably wouldn't
be here... 'proper' apps get it right, but SCO's a product with a great
future behind it.

> At work I occasionally use a kde terminal window (xterm) to log in to an
> SCO box and run a full-screen app with its own terminal database, and
> I tell the app that I'm a vt100. It seems to work fine for the limited
> set of things I do with it. But I'm not depending on any of the function
> keys to behave in any particular manner.

    Yeah, but try that remote-x idea: run "xterm" (or whatever SCO calls
it) from your own X machine.  It then gets every key correct, but with a
little loss of bandwidth.  It's amazing...

> Out of sheer nosiness, what is the app you're working with, if it's not
> a secret?

    Yeah, I'm curious too, if it's not gonna get you in trouble.

Brian Fahrländer                 Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                     http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262              Microsoft never invented email; that was Unix.