NIC (eth0) Problems Since Moving from RHL9 to FC1

Scott Burns scott at mirrabooka.com
Fri Jan 23 02:22:56 UTC 2004

Curt Stauffer wrote:

>I recently moved from RHL9 to Fedora Core 1. When using RHL9 I looked
>around and found a driver for the onboard NIC (bcm4400.o) and didn't have
>any problems with my connection (Cable modem -> D-Link Gateway -> RHL9
>box). I moved to FC1 and used the _b44_ driver. The internet response time
>was really slow so I checked the NIC stats (ifconfig eth0) and saw lots of
>RX errors and frame errors. I downloaded and installed the latest bcm4400
>driver (v3.0.7) from Broadcom - same results. I enabled flow control on
>both RX and TX just to see if that made any difference. Not much. I'm kind
>of at a loss at this point as to what to try next. I even tried a Knoppix
>CD but couldn't get the configuration right for eth0 so I gave up on that.
>Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Has the physical cable changed, or any hardware changed in any way?  If
the cable has changed, is it a cat5e?

The standard response is to slow the connection down to 10mbps half
duplex and retest.  Then increase to 100mbps half duplex and retest.
 Then go to 100mbps full duplex and retest.  You could stop in at 10mbps
full duplex on the way.

If even 10mbps half duplex has problems, let us know.

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899