performance tuning -- application start-up time

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Jan 23 02:58:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 18:17, Fred Nastos wrote:
> The only problem I have now is that it takes a noticeably long
> time for applications to start up, and I'm not talking about
> apps like OpenOffice.  For example, it takes about 8 seconds
> for konsole or terminal to startup.  Once the apps start-up they
> are as responsive as I'd expect.

Make sure your /etc/hosts file has both the eth0 IP address with real
hostname and 127.0.0.1 localhost.  Sounds like maybe it can't determine
its hostname.  GNOME will warn of this condition at login but KDE may
not.  You'll see all kinds of weirdness if that's the case.

Most applications launch on my Athlon 1GHz, A7V133 in well under a
second.  Evolution, one of the slower apps, takes 2 seconds from the
time I click the icon to when its up and fully functional.  It only
takes 5 seconds to launch on my Pentium 75 MHz.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/