New system and Seria ATA

Kevin Street kwsml at rogers.com
Fri Jan 23 03:40:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 21:50, apjaworski at mmm.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need to put together a new system and I have been thinking about Serial
> ATA drives.  I searched stuff using Google and I found out about SATA
> support for different chipsets.  I also found out about libata modules in
> 2.6.? kernels.  However, my question is this:  if I buy a brand new
> hardware with SATA disks only, is there any way to install Linux on it?  If
> so, could somebody explain how or point me to some explanations?

I have a couple of machines using ASUS P4P800 motherboards which use the
ICH5R controller for SATA.  I have a couple of Seagate SATA drives in
each (no IDE or SCSI drives).  I had no problem installing FC1, it
recognized them without difficulty.  I did not try the mb bios raid, but
did set them up with the Linux sw raid on some partitions.

The SATA drives show up as /dev/sda and sdb.  hdparm treats them as SCSI
drives, so doesn't show much.  The smart monitoring daemon doesn't seem
to be able to do anything with them, probably because it also thinks
they are SCSI drives.  Everything else that I've tried works fine and
these two issues I just ignore.

By the way, if you happen to use the same motherboard, plug your
speakers into the line in jack (really!).  You also have to tell the
install to use the sk98lin module to get the on board ethernet
recognized since it's not picked up by the probes.

--
Kevin Street
street at rogers.com