New system and Seria ATA

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 23 07:35:49 UTC 2004

apjaworski at mmm.com wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I need to put together a new system and I have been thinking about Serial
>ATA drives.  I searched stuff using Google and I found out about SATA
>support for different chipsets.  I also found out about libata modules in
>2.6.? kernels.  However, my question is this:  if I buy a brand new
>hardware with SATA disks only, is there any way to install Linux on it?  If
>so, could somebody explain how or point me to some explanations?
>
>I am pretty experienced with Linux and I have been running RedHat systems
>on my home machines for several years.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Andy

Andy,

I think the main point right now is to make sure you get and Intel
chipset motherboard with the Intel SATA ICH5 or ICH5R controller.. This
basiaclly means an i865 or i875 chipset..

You will also need a distro that has kernel 2.4.21ac4 or later.. luckily
Fedora is fine.. :)
Here is the intel page,
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-006312-prd40.htm

It looks like all the other SATA controller drivers are still under
development..

Hope that helps..

Later..