Background details on MySQL installation

Danny Anderson danderson at dfisystems.com
Fri Jan 23 18:27:24 UTC 2004

Joseph Mello wrote:
> I am getting up to speed on MySQL. The folder locations for MySQL that
> are used by FC1 don’t match those mentioned in my MySQL books. Does
> anyone know of a document that describes the details of the
> configuration FC1 uses for the MySQL provided in the distro?

Just a quick note- super-glue your hair to your head before you try to
install the MySQL C++ API or something similar to a Fedora install of
MySQL.  You will be ripping your hair out in short order otherwise.

I installed Fedora with the bundled Apache, PHP, and MySQL.  The
rationale was that letting Fedora install everything would save me the
headache of making sure that mysql, php, and apache can all play nicely
together if I had installed the packages separately. With the Fedora
installation, they do play very nicely together, but the programs are
definitely installed to nonstandard locations.  To clarify, nonstandard
here means "not where php, mysql, and apache would install themselves by
default, i.e., /usr/local/".

I noticed that nonstandard locations, but everything works great so I
didn't really care until I wanted to interface c++ programs to the
database server.  I have tried for about 2 weeks to get the mysql c++
api installed, but I have pretty much given up on it until I reinstall
Fedora with mysql 4.x installed separately.

Danny