3c556 Ethernet card not detected in Fedora with 2.6 kernel

Plum, Michael A. plumma at ornl.gov
Fri Jan 23 19:27:28 UTC 2004

I recently installed Fedora (kernel version 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl) on my
IBM Thinkpad T21. It ran great. It also ran great under Redhat 9.

Then I installed the 2.6 kernel using up2date. The new kernel is
2.6.1-1.141. My problem is that now the Ethernet card doesn't seem to be
detected. When I reboot to kernel 2.6 kudzu comes up asks to remove this
card (but I tell it to keep it).

When I try to start Ethernet manually in the network configuration
utility it fails.

Also in the network configuration utility, under Hardware Device, I see
MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, and probe can't find it.

In modprobe.conf there is the line "alias eth0 3c59x".

I've tried removing it and adding it in the network configuration
utility, with no luck.

In Hardware Browser, the system does detect the card, as a 3c556B
Hurricane Cardbus, driver = 3c59x.

In /lib/modules/2.6.1-1.141/kernel/drivers/net there is a file named
3c59x.ko.

Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance.
-- Mike.