3c556 Ethernet card not detected in Fedora with 2.6 kernel

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jan 23 19:56:45 UTC 2004

Plum, Michael A. wrote:
> I recently installed Fedora (kernel version 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl) on my
> IBM Thinkpad T21. It ran great. It also ran great under Redhat 9.
>
> Then I installed the 2.6 kernel using up2date. The new kernel is
> 2.6.1-1.141. My problem is that now the Ethernet card doesn't seem to be
> detected. When I reboot to kernel 2.6 kudzu comes up asks to remove this
> card (but I tell it to keep it).
>
> When I try to start Ethernet manually in the network configuration
> utility it fails.
>
> Also in the network configuration utility, under Hardware Device, I see
> MAC address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, and probe can't find it.
>
> In modprobe.conf there is the line "alias eth0 3c59x".
>
> I've tried removing it and adding it in the network configuration
> utility, with no luck.
>
> In Hardware Browser, the system does detect the card, as a 3c556B
> Hurricane Cardbus, driver = 3c59x.
>
> In /lib/modules/2.6.1-1.141/kernel/drivers/net there is a file named
> 3c59x.ko.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks much in advance.
> -- Mike.
>

> ===========================
> Mike Plum
> 865-576-5469
> Rm. 300, 701SCA

The problem with the 3com card on a Fedora installation is pretty
common. There are a lot of prior solutions to get this card to work. I
believe the problem is with interaction with the ethtool version used
with Fedora.

I think the program sets the card in an erratic state. This probably has
to do with auto-negotiate mode that the card has.

Check the archives and bugzilla. The solutions are varied and range from
disabling kudzu during boot, not booting through the graphical boot
loader. Adding return conditions into the ifup file and setting the mode
to the desired mode, instead of alowing the card to auto-negotiate,
which it does not do well with Fedora and the Betas up to it.

Jim