mplayer projector problems with Fedora

Jonathan DeSena jonathan.desena at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jan 23 21:26:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 11:41, William John Murray wrote:
>   Thanks Andy!
>        All sorts of interesting things happen:
>   (Relevant to the recent X/Autodetect thread)
>   I have been experimenting with a second monitor, not a projector.
>   But it feels very similar to me...)
>
> 1)   radeon->vesa driver for my radeon card
>
>   This drops glxgears from 600->175, and dri support goes.
>    mplayer knows xv will not work, so picks x11. Which means I
>    do get a display, without having to think, even if it is
> not a nice one.
>    However, the alt-F8 works as it did on RH-9.  It seemed to be
> disabled before. So I can choose laptop, projector or both.
>
> 2) apm on/off does nothing for me.
>
> 3) apci off/on does nothing for me.
>
> 4) Start X WITHOUT the external display, and then plugging it in,
>   fixes the problem.
>
>    So it seems that it recognises the second screen and tries to
> do something clever in consequence. So I can summarise:
>   A) Start X with projector connected
>       Screen position correct, no clipping, but 680x480 only.
>       xv output only displayed on laptop.
>
> In XFree86.0.log I notice:
>     (**) RADEON(0): *Mode "1400x1050"
> (**) RADEON(0): *Mode "1280x1024"
> (**) RADEON(0): *Mode "1280x960"
> (**) RADEON(0): *Mode "1152x864"
> (**) RADEON(0): *Mode "1024x768"
> (**) RADEON(0): *Mode "800x600"
> (**) RADEON(0): *Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
> (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "640x480"   25.20  640 656 752 800  480 490 492
> 525 -hsync -vsync
> (**) RADEON(0):  Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
> (II) RADEON(0): Modeline "320x240"   12.60  320 328 376 400  240 245 246
> 262 doublescan -hsync -vsync
>

>   B) Start X without, then plug-in
>       xv works nicely
>       screen display slightly misplaced
>       1400x1050 seems to work on this monitor.
>
>    Does that suggest anything about the source?
>            Bill
>

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:09, Andy Green wrote:
> >

> > --

Just noticed this post while cleaning out mail. So this reply might be
too late, but you never know.

I have a Dell Latitude C610 and needed to add the following option to my
XF86Config file in the Device Section:

	Option "OverlayOnCRTC2" "true"

This forces hardware overlay to the clone head, which will allow XV
output to display to a secondary CRT. This allows me to use my docking
station with XV video. No need to change this option for normal laptop
usage either.

I use the "ati" driver, but the "radeon" driver should work fine I think
(equivalent).

I think it should fix the "blue screen" problem when using the external
video port on the laptop. But then if sending output to both
simultaneously you may end up with a "blue screen" on your laptop
instead -- don't know for sure though, never tried it.

The other problem probably has something to do with matching the right
monitor definition (Section "Monitor") with your display. You may need
to play with other device driver options as well (ie. "MonitorLayout").
May or may not be worth the time spent figuring it out.

Hope that helps.

Jon