Red Hat Magazine: Wide Open Magazine

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Sat Jan 24 01:33:42 UTC 2004

> But if you don't get your satisfaction that way, or don't understand
> that the folks publishing the magazine need to eat, too (and they
> DON'T get any consulting bucks, just ad money proportional to editorial
> compromise), then find some other way to make your contribution.

I guess I need to take a writing class because I am not doing a good job
of getting my point across :( Maybe I did not retain enough of the post
I was responding to. I was not trying to comment on their policy, I was
just clarifying it. The person I was responding to was going off on some
rant about how it was unreasonable for a writer to get paid. He was
insinuating that the guy was anti- Open Source or something. I was just
trying to point out that the disclaimer itself was really in the spirit
of Open Source.

I don't have a problem with people making money. How they want to run
their business is up to them. I hope that Redhat is very successful and
makes lots of money. I wouldn't even mind if everyone in the company
ended up filthy rich.

> And if you want to get paid without making a contribution to the
> world, there is always Microsoft!

This has not been my experience with Microsoft. I used to work in the
Windows world and one of the reasons I went over to embedded systems is
because I did not like working with Microsoft. They will just as well
knife you in the back as say hello. And if they could get away with it
they would steel the shirt of your back.

Don't get me wrong. There are some very nice and talented people working
at Microsoft. I have worked with some of them. It seems the higher you
get up the food chain there the more arrogant they get.