Another NVIDIA-driver question!

Matt H. helios82 at optushome.com.au
Sat Jan 24 08:12:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:42:06 -0800, Daniel Durgin wrote:

> The older driver(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496) was
> starting to get flaky with the newest set of fedora
> 2.4 kernels. So I tried the newest
> one(NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328)
>   Some weird problems with the new driver.  First of
> all, X11 now serves to terminal 8 (ctrl-alt-F8) not 7!
> another thing, it is really slow now.
>
> I switch back to the old driver and every thing is ok
> (except the X11 crashes I get now and then).
>
> Any one else notice this?
By slow do you mean fps performance? I had the same problem. The issue was
to do with buggy coding of the official nvidia pkg installer that produced
kernel oop's related with AGP on some systems. (not sure if it's directly
FC1 specific)

If your XFree86.0.log contains lines similar to "could not verify AGP
usage" and/or kernel oops on or near a line with "agp" in it, then you can
be pretty certain this is the problem.

The solution that worked flawlessly for me is to download an updated
installer from http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.4/ that fixed this
AGP bug. I went from ~3 fps to ~650 fps in tuxracer. :^)

HTH
--
Matt