"No such device or address" for /dev/st0

Charlie Sauer sauer at technologists.com
Sat Jan 24 16:04:04 UTC 2004

I've read some of the prior postings about related problems, subsequently
fixed, which makes me think that this problem has regressed into the latest
kernel/drivers.

The machine in question is a Dell Optiplex running 2.4.22-1.2149 with all of
the latest up2dates.

The SCSI controller is an Adaptec 2930, the drive is an HP DDS3 (C1537A).
All looks fine in /var/log/messages, but when I try to access the drive, I
can't.

All of this hardware previously ran RH 9.0, and tape access worked fine with
that. This machine will also boot NT4 and Windows XP, and they both seem to
be happy with the controller/drive.

Suggestions/fixes?

Charlie
e-mail: sauer at technologists.com