unable to connect to some websites

Matthew Wilson matthewwilson at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jan 24 16:56:40 UTC 2004

Greetings list,
(Fedora Core 1, Kernel 2.6.0-1.107, Mozilla 1.4, ADSL connection via
Ethernet and router)
I have a rather odd problem that has become apparent in the last couple
of days. Using Mozilla, Opera or wget, I can't connect to some
websites.  The connection will time out.  Ethereal shows the name being
resolved successfully and connection requests being sent to the server,
but no response is received.   The same sites can be accessed fine from
a M$ box on the same LAN.  I've tried disabling iptables to no avail.

A couple of the websites this occurs with:
www.sown.org.uk
www.musicroom.com

any ideas?
cheers