Clean up the up2date directory, /var partition?

Richard McCord akahb at swbell.net
Sat Jan 24 17:40:06 UTC 2004

My 583MB /var partition is 88% full, with a large chunk of that 88%
being in the /var/spool/up2date directory.  Is there a procedure for
cleaning out the up2date directory?  It has, among other things, a
couple of kernel versions that are no longer even installed (2140 and
one earlier one, I believe).  I do not want to jack up the rpm
database, but I _would_ like to lean out the /var partition.

In that same vein, is it okay to delete the huge lastlog file in
/var/log?

Thanks.

Richard McCord
Determined to stick with the penguin thingee