command line comm software

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 25 09:48:26 UTC 2004

Am So, den 25.01.2004 schrieb Charles Howse um 03:32:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for some command line comm software that will take a dial
> string as a parameter, or a way to interact with /dev/modem from a bash
> script.
>
> I don't think minicom will do, but if it would, what I need to do is
> something like this:
>
> # initialize modem
> minicom -init
>
> # dial with minicom
> minicom -dial 5551212
>
> # hang up
> minicom -hangup
>
> Just simple stuff.  Any suggestions?
> --
> Charles Howse
> Jackson, TN
> Uptime: 1:28

Hi Charles,

I did not investigate how this program would do that but I am quite sure
the big beast c-kermit - shipped since Redhat 8? - can do what you want.
It has so many features and options. I meanwhile run all my TLS secured
FTP connections through it, invoking the connection just by a short
command line, getting the authentication data and connection settings by
a 'profile config' file.

c-kermit is really worth a look at it.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 10:43:48 up 18:22, 7 users, load average: 0.13, 0.25, 0.22
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]