Can yum install everything?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 25 15:22:24 UTC 2004

Am So, den 25.01.2004 schrieb Ernest L. Williams Jr. um 16:04:
> On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 09:43, Tom Taylor wrote:
> > Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> >
> > > How does one install "all" of the packages?
> >
> > I'm not sure why you'd want to do this? There's a lot of packages that
> > you'd never use, and it would take a lot time/a lot of space to install.
>
> This is what I do with up2date from RH.  I highlight the list of
> packages that I want and then select install.  Or I can select all which
> is a desired option sometimes.
> I think it is a waste of time to pick each package individually.  For
> example, I had to do the following to install xosd:
> yum install xosd
> yum install xosd-devel

For what reason the devel package? Just as a side question.

But in general, yum will - like up2date - auto-resolve dependencies. So
a "yum install xosd-devel" will install both packages, as xosd is
required if you install xosd-devel.

> Why isn't yum install xosd*   allowed?
>
> Don't get me wrong. I am not asking for a GUI like in up2date just good
> command line features to save time.

Normally it is ok to give your tool of choice just a list of packages to
install, like "yum install packageA packageB packageC" and if something
is required by any of these packages it will be installed too,
automagically.

To install each and everything - either from Core or from any other
respository you configured in addition - is mostly unwanted.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 16:17:40 up 23:55, 7 users, load average: 0.10, 0.15, 0.16
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]