Ethernet 10base T splitter

Nicholas Evans owlmanatt at owlmanatt.com
Sun Jan 25 19:56:12 UTC 2004

Hello,

    I've just spent the past four hours trying to get my two computers
to use the one ethernet port on the back of my 2wire Home portal, which
serves as a router and DSL modem. I bought a 10base T splitter from
radioshack, brought it home, and hooked it up. After a bit of tinkering,
I got my old computer to work, but my new one wouldn't. After four
hours, I've tried every trick I can think of, and some I didn't think
of, to no avail. My new computer /refuses/ to work when  I use the
splitter. I've tried switching the wires around, re-adding the
ethernetcard 5 or 6 times for each compter, played with the 2wire
settings, played with the hosts, route, and network services. Is there
something I'm overlooking? Do I need some exotic network service? Or is
the splitter just crappy?

This is taken from my system log. It's what appears when I attempt to
activate eth0.

Jan 25 14:47:30 localhost kernel: eth0: Media Link On 10mbps half-duplex
Jan 25 14:47:32 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67
Jan 25 14:47:36 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67
Jan 25 14:47:47 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
Jan 25 14:47:53 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
Jan 25 14:48:01 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
Jan 25 14:48:11 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
Jan 25 14:48:31 localhost dhclient: DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
Jan 25 14:48:48 localhost dhclient: No DHCPOFFERS received.

Help?

Thanks,
Nicholas Evans