Soundcard sometimes works. Sometimes Not.

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Mon Jan 26 01:25:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:14:40 -0500, Troy Campano wrote:

> 1) I'm running GNOME.
> 2) I'm not sure what audio output driver i'm using in XMMS, however it's
> *all* sound on the computer (including sounds from gaim and other apps)
> and not just XMMS.
> 3) Soundcard info:
> 	- Vendor: Intel Corp.
> 	- Model: 82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller
> 	- Module: I810_audio
> 4) When I have this problem I run "soundcard detection" under "system
> settings" and it doesn't play a sound their either. It does play a sound
> when the soundcard is working.
>

> Please let me know if you need me to send other information.

Make sure you have the most recent kernel update installed.  When sound
doesn't work, save the output of the /sbin/lsmod command and have a look
at the /var/log/messages file whether you find something about the kernel
audio driver. Also check http://bugzilla.redhat.com on possible problems
with the i810 audio driver. Or try ALSA, e.g. with the just released
packages from fedora.us.