Configuring NETBIOS/Samba

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Mon Jan 26 13:27:41 UTC 2004

If you really want this, you can (not very, but still) easily install the
bind-dns-server on your linux-box with the linux-dhcp-server (preferable)
as dynamic-dns-server. i do so with my servers at home, this works very
fine and is not that hard...
howto for dhcp-server-config:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-dhcp-configuring-server.html
howto for bind
:http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80095&highlight=ddns
(seems not that bad...)
so you will get your ips updated, if you customize also your
dhclient-script on your clients (linux-clients only) and tell all your
clients where to find your dns-server...
HTH
Roger

> I'm using Fedora Core 1, dual booted with Windows XP, on a small house
> network (5-6 PCs). The router, a Linksys 4 port is managing DHCP, and
> we're all on Class C.
>
> I'm trying to get Fedora to share folders with the Windows machines, as
> well as just interact via hostnames. If I type 'ping windowsbox', it
> cannot find the IP in Fedora, whereas it will find it easily in XP.
> Presumably this is due to some sort of NETBIOS DNS lookup.
yes, it seems so, you have your samba-server also configured as
netbios-server?

> I have configured the workgroup in Samba, and the hostname of the
> machine is 'tom'.
>
> So, what do I need to configure to allow my fedora box to see my windows
> machines through DNS?
>I should also mention that they change IPs
but in this case, you should forget about the linksys-server-functionality.