performance tuning -- application start-up time

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Jan 26 18:03:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 12:25, Fred Nastos wrote:

> That also didn't seem to immediately help.  But after about two minutes
> everything started launching much more quickly (terminals in under a
> second, mozilla in less than two, etc...)!!

That's just the disk cache filling up.

> Now, I just have to figure out why ssh is so slow.

When ssh is really slow for me, I generally find the problem is my ISP's
name server being really slow in responding to lookups.  I actually
hand-edited /etc/resolv.conf in some desperation once, and added a
couple of name servers I knew were up, close to me, and would respond
quickly.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge