performance tuning -- application start-up time

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Jan 26 20:47:27 UTC 2004

Fred Nastos wrote:

>Now, I just have to figure out why ssh is so slow.  I had first attributed it
>to the same source as the above problem, but now that that is fixed, it is
>still taking a long time to connect to other machines.
>
>Thanks (especially to D. Norris and P. Macedo)

Fred ,
try using ssh -v -v -v . This will enable the highest level of debugging
and will help you find what is making ssh slow...  If the machine on the
other end is very loaded , it will take a lot of time to accept a
connection... So , as soon as you login on the other machine , see its
load using uptime.. if it's above 1, then this explains a bit.. if it's
above 3 , then load really is the issue...

Pedro Macedo