uninstall

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Mon Jan 26 18:25:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:13:43 -0800
Austin Isler <a_c_isler at verizon.net> wrote:

> If I installed something from source, how can I go about uninstalling
> it and all the items that came with.

Hello, Austin :)
If you still have the directory lying around that you ran "make install"
from, just "cd" into that directory (as root) and run "make uninstall"
If you do not have the above mentioned directory anymore, untar the
source code (just like you did to install it in the first place), "cd"
into the directory that is created by untarring the source code, and, do
the following:
1. Run "./configure" - make sure that you use the same path that you
used when you originally installed the program.
2. Run "make"
3. "su" into root, and run "make uninstall"

Unless I am mistaken, if you don't even have the original source code
lying around, you will need to get a hold of another copy of the exact
version that you installed, and run the following steps.

This Might leave a few directories behind, but if I'm not mistaken,
every time that I've looked into any directories that remain after
running "make uninstall", they are always empty.
To summarize, just follow the same steps that you followed to install
from the source code to begin with, but run "make uninstall" instead of
"make install"
I need to move on now to get ready for work, but I'll follow up with you
no later than Wednesday with how you can find any empty directories that
are left behind after following the steps that I described above.

Worst case scenario, if there is a better way to do what I described
above, I'm sure that someone on this list will let us know :)

I hope this helps :)
Steven P. Ulrick