players

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue Jan 27 01:16:51 UTC 2004

amazing powers of observation wrote:
> are there a descent mp3 player for fedora ?

xmms works just fine, but is initially not config'd for mp3. If you
prefer .mp3 over .ogg format, you'll need to install the xmms-mp3
plugin. If you have yum configured, you could install it (along with
some other xmms plugins, such as a cd-player plugin which is cool!) by

# yum install xmms*

as a quick aside on a related matter, I was poking around for an mp3
encoder for Grip, when I found that FC1 has Lame on it. Lame was a
piece-of-cake to use to covert a .wav file to .mp3 using:

lame nameofsong.wav

from the command line. It does seem odd that RH would be reluctant to
include mp3 player compatibility, but they do include an mp3 encoder
such as lame. Not complaining...just curious.

Clint