players

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at web.de
Tue Jan 27 02:12:01 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 27.01.2004 schrieb Clint um 02:16:
> amazing powers of observation wrote:
> > are there a descent mp3 player for fedora ?
> >

> xmms works just fine, but is initially not config'd for mp3. If you
> prefer .mp3 over .ogg format, you'll need to install the xmms-mp3
> plugin. If you have yum configured, you could install it (along with
> some other xmms plugins, such as a cd-player plugin which is cool!) by
>
> # yum install xmms*
>
> as a quick aside on a related matter, I was poking around for an mp3
> encoder for Grip, when I found that FC1 has Lame on it. Lame was a
> piece-of-cake to use to covert a .wav file to .mp3 using:
>
> lame nameofsong.wav
>
> from the command line. It does seem odd that RH would be reluctant to
> include mp3 player compatibility, but they do include an mp3 encoder
> such as lame.

Do they?

# apt-cache show lame | grep Version
Version: 3.95.1-8.rhfc1.at
Version: 3.95.1-1.fr
Version: 3.95.1-0.rhfc1.dag
Version: 3.95-0.rhfc1.dag
Version: 3.93.1-1.rhfc1.dag
Version: 0:3.93.1-0.lvn.8.1

so none of the packages is from RH or Fedora.

BTW: I like sound-juicer better than grip. But "of course" it wont do
mp3 by default, you need to get the gstreamer-mp3 plugin and a update to
Dag Wieers package or rebuild from src.rpm.

Christoph