mime type conflicts

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Jan 27 15:15:05 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-27 08:01, Matt H. whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and
scribbled:

>On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:02:45 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>Mozilla Menu -> Edit -> Settings -> Navigator -> Helper Applications ->
>>File types -> change from Helix player to just download
>>

>application/x-rpm is set to save files to disk. I deleted the entry for
>audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin, but it didn't have any effect. I've just
>noticed the following: Clicking for example any .rpm in the following link
>will correctly open the save as dialog box-
>http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/ However,
>clicking this link will give me a Helix logo screen as it tries to run it
>as an RealPlayer plugin Metafile.
>http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/gstreamer-plugins/gstreamer-plugins-extras-0.6.3-3.1.fr.i386.rpm
>Can anyone reproduce this? I'm not sure how to work around this other than
>deleting the Helix plugin. Why are some .rpm's being interpreted as
>"application/x-rpm" and yet some as "audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin"?
>
>Thanks

The answer is I think mostly in the SERVER.  The fedora.us server
advertises the rpm as being of type application/x-rpm, but the
freshrpms.net (seems to be) explicitly advertising the file as
audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin. At least that's what Mozilla 1.6 reports to
me when I get the "Whaddya wanna do with this?" dialogue window.  Now,
if a server doesn't set the type explicitly, the browser goes to its
plugins and guesses at the type based on the ".rpm" ending.  Although,
since I don't have the Real plugin, it can't do that, so I get the
decision box, where I can choose to save the file.

I would drop a note to the webmaster at freshrpms.net.  They really
ought to know better.

--
Fritz Whittington
Slow but sure moves the might of the gods. (Euripides, The Bacchae, circa 407 B.C.)