Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Tue Jan 27 16:00:51 UTC 2004

Preston Crawford wrote:

>I have a nice, well-running, well behaved Fedora installation. I'm
>thinking of buying Windows because I need to learn ASP.NET and Mono, for
>all that it does well, has some shortcomings. Plus there's no good
>editor for ASP.NET. Anyway, that's the "why would you want to do this"
>part. As far as how I would do it, I have a second hard drive. I think I
>can just install the second hard drive with Windows and then point Grub
>at that drive as a possible boot point. Is that true? Or will Windows
>want to erase the MBR of HDA and thus this won't be possible at all
>unless I swap the places of the hard drives and reinstall GRUB onto the
>new HDA?
>
>Either way, I'd like to do this (assuming I even choose to do it) in a
>fashion that doesn't ruin my Linux install.
>
>Preston

MS Windows does not like being on a secondary hard drive.

My experience has been that you need to follow this procedure:

1) Take out the Fedora Harddrive
2) Replace with soon-to-be MS Windows Harddrive
3) Install Windows
4) Move the Windows Harddrive to the second bay, install Fedora
Harddrive in the primary bay
5) Add an entry similar to the following to your grub.conf so that you
can boot MS Windows:
title Win2K
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        rootnoverify (hd1,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

The first two lines "swap" the primary and secondary drive, thus making
Windows think it's still in the primary hard drive slot.

Good luck..