Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 27 20:03:53 UTC 2004

Preston Crawford wrote:
>>Since it's unlikely you will be installing .NET on a non-XP system the gymnastics
>>of mapping the drives shouln't be needed.  I currently run a dual boot system with
>>WindowsXP running on the secondary drive.  Works fine.
>>
>>John V. Pope
>

> Why do you say that? Win2k runs it fine, right? I'd prefer 2K, personally.
>
> Also, what do you guys think about those drive bay cases that let you remove hard drives by pulling them out by a handle after enclosing the drives in a case? Thus, switching back and forth between primary drives manually. Are these a bad idea? i.e. Are they hard on the hardware?

Personally, I don't care for them.  IDE is not designed for hot swap
(neither is SCSI, really, unless you have the special drives) and if the
drawer is just a little loose and the drive disconnects when powered up,
you can fry your motherboard.  I'm quite dubious of them.

I understand the simplicity of swapping drives out to run different
OSes, but I've seen too many of those beasties fry systems or drives
to trust them.  Your mileage may vary, however, and the really well made
drive drawer systems can be useful, but you have been warned.
-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -