Adding Windows 2000 into a dual-boot after the fact?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Jan 27 21:05:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:13:23PM -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> > I understand the simplicity of swapping drives out to run different
> > OSes, but I've seen too many of those beasties fry systems or drives
> > to trust them.  Your mileage may vary, however, and the really well made
> > drive drawer systems can be useful, but you have been warned.
>
> I appreciate the warning. I don't plan on "hot-swapping" them (I don't even know how you'd hot-swap an OS), just for the record. I plan on shutting down, swapping, then booting up again. Does above still hold true under that scenario? If so, then I'll give the dual boot off the second drive a try.

Preston, please set your mail reader to wrap lines. 74 characters per
line would be nice. Thank you.

Even without hot swapping, those removable drive carriers are a
disaster waiting to happen. I've taught in classrooms where everyone
had their own hard drive for each class and everyone plugged in at the
beginning of the class and unplugged at the end. We saw the carriers
wear out quickly. Loose contacts mean erratic failures, which meant
corrupted file systems. In once case, we had to re-install Linux
several times in a semester for one student.

We didn't care all that much, as the hard drives' contents were
expendible. I doubt that's true of your home machine.

Also, if you swap between two drives, you have no simple way to
transfer files between them. Having two drives in the computer gives
you this.

Plus, why spend the money if you don't have to.

For your own system, avoid them.