still can't get a decent display with intel 865 video card

Franco Bladilo bladilo at is.rice.edu
Tue Jan 27 23:09:51 UTC 2004

Robert,
I had the same problem on a dell optiplex gx270 running RHL9, it
wouldn't do more than 640x480 8bpp .
What bios revision are you running?

Dell's gx270 bios revision A03 seems to ignore the "onboard video
buffer" option , these are the relevant lines
from the kernel ring buffer using a03 and setting the video buffer to
8mb on bios:

agpgart: Tungsten Graphics version 20021029
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G Chipset.
agpgart: PGTBL_CTL value is 0x7ffe0001
agpgart: Detected 892K stolen memory.

Downgrading the bios to A02 corrected the problem :

agpgart: Tungsten Graphics version 20021029
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G Chipset.
agpgart: PGTBL_CTL value is 0x7ffe0001
agpgart: Detected 8060K stolen memory.

I can at least have a decent 1024x768 16bpp now .. has anyone seen this
problem before?

Franco.