Mystery ports 602 603

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Wed Jan 28 01:47:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Kevin Worthington wrote:

> > After upgrading a couple of systems to Fedora I've noticed that I now have
> > port 602 open on one system and port 603 on another.  What are these ports
> > used for?
> I don't see that on any of my Fedora systems. However, try:
>
> nmap -a -v -sV -p 602-603 localhost
>
> to find out. ( you must have nmap installed)
>
> HTH,
> Kev

Thanks.  For what it's worth these ports are used by rpc.rquota which is
part of the quota package.  rquota is used to determine quotas for nfs
mounted volumes.

I don't use quotas and don't like having these ports open (even if I'm
behind a firewall.  I think I'll just remove the package.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer