Why doesn't anaconda detect monitor changes and reconfigure X?

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jan 28 05:32:35 UTC 2004

James Jones wrote:
> See subject line. I made the mistake of not editing /etc/inittab to move
> back to init 3 before switching monitors a week or so ago (I'd had to
> set the computer aside for a while and had forgotten...sigh), and found
> myself up the proverbial creek.
>
>    James Jones

I think it's kudzu that detects hardware changes at boot BTW. anaconda
is the install program run from CDrom at install time.

I am not sure why kudzu did not detect the monitor change, but if you
ever find yourself in this situation again, it's easy to remedy.

As you see the grub screen, hit 'a' key. This will allow you to alter
the kernel line in grub, and you can add a ' 3' to the end of the
line, passing a message to kernel to start at init level 3 instead of
the default in the inittab file. Hit enter to accept your change, and
enter again to boot. Note this change is not permanent, so next boot
will be as normal...

You will then be able to run 'redhat-config-xfree86' to configure
XFree86. If the config program still won't start, try option
'--reconfig', it throws out the current XFConfig file and starts fresh..

Cheers,
Michael