Hardware-monitor for Linux?

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Jan 28 06:12:01 UTC 2004

Jeff Stampes wrote:

> As a completely uneducated idiot, I've bumbled my way through a lot of
> linux issues.  What does it mean when running lm-sensors results in a
> nonstop alarm?

How are you running lm-sensors? Normally, you need to run
'sensors-detect' and follow the instructions. Look in your mobo manual
and try to find exactly which monitoring chipset you  have (sometimes
lm-sensors will detect the wrong chipset). Then run 'sensors -s', and
then a 'sensors'. If the values you see are not close to what you see
from the BIOS health monitoring screen, you will probably have to make
adjustments to your /etc/sensors.conf.

Which motherboard are you using? You might want to go to the lm-sensors
home page and check for support for your monitor chip:

    http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/