Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 28 16:14:43 UTC 2004

Felix Miata wrote:

>Alan Dunkley wrote:
>

>>2x80GB RAID-1 disks
>>

>How? I tried SuSE, Fedora, Lindows & Mandrake, and couldn't find out how
>to install to RAID1. All I could find said this is only possible via
>software, creating a major chicken & egg situation that is complicated
>by having windoze already installed using the motherboard "hardware"
>RAID.

There is nothing wrong with Linux software RAID, in fact it does have
some strong advantages.. But I am not going to fire up that debate again..

If you are refering to the Promise or similar ATA RAID controllers these
are also *software* RAID since most of the RAID finctionality is
performed by the driver not the card.. The only exception to this that I
know of so far is the 3ware ATA RAID cards which are true hardware RAID
controllers, and the driver is included in Linux as well so installation
is a breeze..

later..