Installation problem on laptop

Patrick STODDARD lists at wd9ewk.net
Wed Jan 28 16:44:08 UTC 2004

Hi!

I have tried several times to get Fedora installed on an IBM
ThinkPad i1411 (300MHz mobile Pentium MMX [stepping 02], 256
Mb RAM, 4Gb HD), which has handled Red Hat 6 through 9 without
problems.  The install CDs check out OK, it boots off the CD,
and the installer (text or graphical - I tried them both) goes
along fine until the point I would start selecting packages
to install.  At this point, I get an error with the following
text:

You are trying to install on a machine which isn't supported
by this release of Fedora Core.

I was not trying to upgrade the existing Red Hat 9 install to
Fedora, but wanted to have the install wipe out the hard drive
and do a clean install.  I also tried to make it upgrade the
existing Red Hat 9 install, but met up with the same error
message above.  I tried selecting a Custom setup, as well as
a Personal Desktop setup, I also tried passing options at the
"boot:" prompt like "noprobe", "mem=256M" - and all those
options still end at the error message above.

The laptop is almost 5 years old, but from what I read this
should be adequate to run Fedora.  It is a little slow, sure,
but it has handled Red Hat 9 just fine for the last few
months.  This is not a dual-boot system - even though it came
with Win98 from IBM, I wiped the hard drive and installed
Linux the day I bought it.  I'm hoping that I haven't reached
the end of the line for this laptop.  I'd like to stay with
Red Hat/Fedora, and could keep the existing RH9 install going,
but would like to move onto Fedora if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick Stoddard - Phoenix AZ