Where's the beef!

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Jan 28 20:25:43 UTC 2004

Terry Johnson wrote:
> Hey I was on the #fedora channel all last week and even on there up
> until yesterday. I go to join the channel today and it says I need to be
> Identified. Is there something wrong here or am I banned otr something?
> I cant think of anything I've done different or any reason for me to be
> banned. I was just wondering if anyone else has or had the same problem.
> I really like chatting with you guys??
> Thanks

I ran into it as well, and thankfully had some help from the Greater
London Linux User's Group (a very helpful group by the way). Register
your nickname with NickServ with the following command, assuming you
want to register the nick Fred with the password bedrock:

/msg NickServ REGISTER bedrock

Some whirring will take place, and then your nickname will be registered
or not, depending on if someone has already registered it. If it's
taken, try changing your nickname with:

/nick Barney

to change your nickname to Barney, then try registering.

That's what worked for me -- I'm very new to irc, so this may or may not
be the "right" way to do it.

When you try to /join #fedora again, use the IDENTIFY function with your
password:

/msg NickServ IDENTIFY bedrock

Clint