Fedora <-> kde

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Jan 29 02:13:29 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 05:24:43PM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> I'll agree in general that metacity lacks some of my old favored
> features (I used to use fvwm). Desktop switching based on hitting the
> screen edge took a while to get used to, but reducing mouse usage is
> generally a good thing.

Well, I normally use keyboard for that stuff all the time, but
sometimes you do mouse-intensive things...

> I don't have your problem with using alt-tab or alt-esc. Both cleanly
> cycle through just the windows from the current desktop. Could it be
> that you have some older GNOME/metacity settings that weren't cleanly
> replaced? I've done a few user-upgrades now, and old GNOME settings have
> commonly proven to be a source of trouble.

Nope, from-scratch FC1 install, clean $HOME. I don't have this problem
on every virtual desktop, and don't have it all the time.

Currently, I have an 4x2 desktop layout, and desktop #2 has one single
gnome-terminal. The pager in the panel confirms that. If I do ALT-Tab,
I get TWO choices... the gnome-terminal instance and the mozilla running
in the desktop below (#6). Actually, I even get this one as first
choice, so if I release ALT too hasty, the mozilla window would get
drawn into my desktop #2.

Regards,
Daniel