configuring htmlview / gnome default browser

Youssef Makki bugzilla at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 29 04:54:31 UTC 2004

Hello folks,

I've been - and without success - trying to change default browser
behavior in Gnome. First off, I looked at /usr/bin/htmlview, which
mentions /etc/htmlview.conf and ~/.htmlviewrc, however does not mention
the options/syntax I can use. Some googling reveled that I should add
"X11BROWSER=/usr/bin/mozilla-firebird" to the ~/.htmlviewrc, which
doesn't seem to work consistently. The other problem is with
gnome-default-applications-properties (Preferences - Preferred
Applications). It tends to forget what I set in "Select a Web Browser",
and it never remembers what I set in "Custom Web Browser",
"/usr/bin/mozilla-firebird" in my case. I snooped around in the gconf
editor, found a few keys, edited to no effect.
Any ideas here?

Thanks!